The Lazaretto - Philadelphia's Ellis Island [& Slave Ships from Guinea Forced to Land Here]
African American History Buildings Civics Lessons Ghosts and Spirits, Haunted, Paranormal Government, Politics History Preservation / Protection Needed Underground Railroad (Slavery/Freedom)
The Lazaretto - Philadelphia's Ellis Island [& Slave Ships from Guinea Forced to Land Here]

Built in 1799 and opened in 1801, the Lazaretto (named for the patron saint of lepers, St. Lazarus), was where immigrants were checked into our country, and if they had disease, where they were quarantined. It closed in 1895 and since then has been a yacht club, pilot-training base, and seaplane landing site, according to the Phila. Inquirer of 3/5/12 at p. A2, and several Web sites. It almost became a parking lot for the nearby Phila. International Airport, but instead is being refurbished to be township offices for Tinicum Township.

Publication date Jun 24, 2018
Property ID: 208
Updated on: Apr 30, 2019

Built in 1799 and opened in 1801, the Lazaretto (named for the patron saint of lepers, St. Lazarus), was where immigrants were checked into our country, and if they had disease, where they were quarantined. It closed in 1895 and since then has been a yacht club, pilot-training base, and seaplane landing site, according to the Phila. Inquirer of 3/5/12 at p. A2, and several Web sites. It almost became a parking lot for the nearby Phila. International Airport, but instead is being refurbished to be township offices for Tinicum Township.

info

Location:
Lazaretto Quarantine Station , 99 Wanamaker Ave., Essington, Pennsylvania, 19029, United States
Listing Category:
African American History Buildings Civics Lessons Ghosts and Spirits, Haunted, Paranormal Government, Politics History Preservation / Protection Needed Underground Railroad (Slavery/Freedom)
Virtual / Real:
Virtual
Created Date:
06-24-2018
Created by
plaquemaster
All locations from this user

Share

Google Ads